I love National Cookie Week for many reasons, the participating bakeries, the friends pounding at my door for cookies, the sugar and of course cause it falls on Cinco De Mayo! (Cue Mariachi band here)
Last years Gay Mexican Wedding Cookie was a hit with all the Gays, straights and everyone in between that I had no idea how I was gonna top it, that is until I realized that I didn’t have a cookie with liquor in it yet for the week! So I’m gonna shut up and just give you the cookie recipe so we can all start drinking!
(Note: After searching though recipes to get an idea of what other people had done it seems that the standard across the board was this recipe I first found on another fabulous food blog called Smitten Kitchen. (She was inspired by Dorie Greenspan’s Lemon Sables) I feel like credit needs to be given here as she definitely got me started but as always I had to gay it up and make it a little more fabulous! So, I guess the recipe is mine now cause it certainly has been altered!)
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
2 large egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 – 50ml bottle of Cuervo Silver (it’s one of those little bottles you keep in your desk drawer)
Zest of 2 limes
Zest of 1/2 Orange
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 cups of flour
1/2 a cup hot pink sanding sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
1. In a large bowl cream the butter with your mixer till smooth. (or, like me use, a fork)
2. Sift sugar into bowl and beat again till smooth
4. If you are working with a mixer reduce the speed and add the flour. Beat till just incorporated as you don’t want to overwork the dough. If you are not using a mixer do the same and you’ll be fine.
5. Turn the dough out, split in half and wrap in a log shape. Then freeze for about 15 mins.
6. Beat the remaining egg yolk in a bowl and in a separate bowl mix the sugar and salt.
8. Uncover one of the chilled dough logs and brush with egg yolk. Lay in sugar and gently roll till coated. (make sure your hands are egg free) Keep rolling till desired legnth is attained (don’t you get any ideas!) It all depends on how big or small you like your cookies.
1 day more of cookie madness then it’s off to the gym with all of us!!!
Photos Keith Oberlin ©2012