Inspired by Cher, Tea with Mussolini, and everything gay in between I bring you today’s cookie week cookie of the day!
1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
1.5 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 TBS Honey
Zest of 2 large lemons
2 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 to 10 TBS of very strong Chamomile tea or chamomile butter (I’ll explain in a sec)
So quick word about the chamomile and this cookie. This cookie was an experiment after I had some tasty chamomile lemonade and it didn’t occur to me at first to make chamomile butter. So I boiled some water threw about 8 bags of tea in and let it steep it till it was super strong. Granted I didn’t need all that tea, I made some lemonade for myself afterwards, but looking back I could’ve just taken chamomile buds and simmered it for a while in a stick and a half of butter, strained it, cooled it and refrigerated it till I could use it in the cookies. I think the chamomile would be a stronger presence that way but either way you do it this cookie is light and delicious!
SO… preheat your oven to 350°
1. Cream your butter and sugar together with a mixer or a fork like me!
2. Add in your egg,vanilla, honey and zest
3. In a separate bowl whisk together four, baking powder, baking soda and salt
4. Sift dry ingredients over your wet ones in sections mixing to combine each time.
5. Once combined add tea (if using actual tea instead of tea butter) and taste till ou have desired flavor. (Note: it’s going to be light so don’t go crazy with the tea if you’ve already added about 8 to 10 TBS.)
6. Bake for about 8 mins or till cookies seem just about done.
Remove, let cool and Loretta Castorini you have a cookie!
Keith Oberlin is amazing and I love his photos ©2012. Many thanks to him. Check out the participating bakeries here… National Cookie Week